Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Answering the Call of Hawaii

Day 3- 7/28/12

Hawaii is an amazing place! Honolulu has such a wide range of activities that sometimes it's hard to believe that you are on a tiny island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. This morning I woke up and felt as if my skin was was being ripped off my back and shoulders. Ouch times 10. Thankfully, I learn from my mistakes quickly. "Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it." Now I have a full bottle of water resistant 50 SPF sunscreen and after sun aloe lotion!
Today I took the bus to Aloha Stadium where we went to the Swap Meet .The Swap Meet is basically a big flea market that surrounds the stadium. It sold tons of different things. From fruit to odd beachy signs to towels to shaved ice. It was pretty cool. I bought some cute shirts for myself and we went on a long search for the perfect sarong for my mother. I will show my shirts in my Fabulous Finds: Hawaii post. We got presents and souvenirs for my family. Apparently Hawaii has some of the best shaved ice, so we decided to try it out. It was downright ono (delicious in Hawaiian)! We finally tired out and decided to walk from Aloha Stadium all the way to Pearl Harbor! It was the perfect way to relax (sarcasm). It wasn't that long of a walk, but in the heat it felt pretty darn long. When we finally got to Pearl Harbor I got my National Parks Passport stamped! We then hung around and waited till our 2:30 tour of the USS Arizona. When it began we were lead into a theater that showed us a film about the attack on Pearl Harbor. Then we all boarded a ferry like boat that took us out to the memorial. The whole attack was a tragic and heartbreaking thing that should be forever remember for all the people who died. On the memorial you could see the ship underneath you through the clear water. I saw tons of fish swimming around and a small sea turtle. The ship was still releasing tiny drops of oil after 71 years. It is quite eerie to think about. Most of the other ships were saved from the attack, but the Arizona was so badly damaged that only pieces of it could be salvaged. Only 355 of 1,512 of the people on the ship died and still remain down inside the USS Arizona.
. When the boat returned to the mainland my dad spent tons of time in the museums. They are great for people of all ages. When we finally managed to drag my dad out of the museums it was 6:30 pm! While we waited for the 42 bus that went back to Waikiki Beach we saw a double rainbow. It was so beautiful and bright. You could see every color in it. After 30 minutes of rainbow examining the bus finally came. During those 30 mins I though of an addition to my bucket list: find the end of a rainbow. The bus ride back to Waikiki didn't feel as the ride to Aloha Stadium, but the seats were quite itchy which didn't sit too well with my sunburn. We finally got off the bus. Since it is a Saturday many people were having luaus by the beach. There was very cool reggae music that made you just want to flow with the sounds and dance. I had lots of tine for dancing as we waited for 40 mins for our next bus. We finally made it back to our apartment even though we got off the bus one stop too early and had to walk through the rain to get there. I had an excellent day! I thinkably sunburn is starting to heal!

Day 4- 7/29/12

This morning I woke up in sharp pain again from my burn. I really hope I will be smart enough to not burn again. getting dressed was so painfully. It felt like tons of little needles pricking my skin. We made a little pitstop at the local Safeway. I tried their bacon/egg/cheese sandwich on bread. It was good, but not the best I've had. We took the bus down to the beach and found an open market on the big grassy area right by the beach. We spent the rest of the day swimming. The area that we swam in had rocks, but it also had great waves. The rocks allowed me to stand up in the deeper water. My dad and I swam all the way out to the bouy and floated around out there. That's the farthest that I have ever swam! I could still stand out there because of rocks, but I mostly treaded water. Later we took the bus back o the same Thai restaurant that we ate at before. It was called; To Thai For. It was absolutely delicious again! We waited for the bus for at least another 45 min. When we returned to the apartment we had popcorn and watched the Olympics. The girls gymnastics was amazing! It was a wonderful way to end a wonderful day!

Pictures will be coming soon!

Till next time
-Alexandra :)

No comments:

Post a Comment