Oktoberfest
Munich, Germany
September 27th - 30th
Booked with Smarttrip
Our adventure to the worlds largest day drink began with a late night bus ride from Florence to Munich. We arrived at our hostel at about 7 am on Friday morning and were ready to take on the schnitzle and pretzels. But first, we had to get some things in order.
When attending Oktoberfest it's customary to wear the traditional Bavarian costume. And honestly if you don't, you look pretty lame. I brought my mom's with me in order to save some money because I heard that they are really expensive. BUT. I ended up buying myself one as well because A. it was only 40 euros B. I can go to Oktoberfest again WITH my mother (that would be a good time) C. The dirndl I found was just too damn cute to not buy. There are several stores you can buy them in, all with very helpful, albeit intense, workers to help you find the perfecting dirndl to drink in. And for the guys: have your pick of lederhosen. There's nothing more attractive than a guy with a stein and some nice lederhosen.
Next, it was time for food. Something I realized while studying abroad is that while I avoid Starbucks in the States, it was really interesting to see how their menu changed in other countries. For example, in Munich I had a pretzel sand-which with chicken and I think cream cheese and chives. I wish I could remember better, but I do know that it tasted heavenly. German food in general is to die for. I think I say this about every country that I visit. Oops. Food is life.
For actual lunch we stopped at a restaurant for a proper beer and pommes (french fries)! I just love to say pommes. Pronounced like hummus but with a "P".
Later that night we explored the fairgrounds of Oktoberfest and after some diligent looking found some tables to drink at.
Saturday Morning
Saturday morning started sooo early. I got up around 5 a.m to start my hair and makeup, run down to the kitchen for a snack (even though they annoyingly didn't open till seven), and then run to the fair to wait for the gates to open. We waited outside in the cold for about an hour or so among a very packed crowd of other eager drinkers. Lots of attractive men in lederhosen to stare at to pass the time. Once the gates opened. Oi. A mad rush to the gates ensued. And I promised myself that I would not run to the tent that I wanted, but as usual I broke that promise, and I sprinted in my dress and all to secure a table. It's all part of the fun and memories. I'd for sure do it again. Maybe with a pretzle to snack on in line though. The rest of the day is slightly a blur (as it should be). But! I got my customary dirndle/stein photos, and that's really all you can ask for at Oktoberfest.
A very long nap ensued and then a delicious dinner of speatzle and schnitzle at an authentic German restaurant. Speatzle are little homemade german "noodles" made with eggs. A delicious German food, and something I make a point to have anytime I'm in Germany for more than a day!
Tschuss!
Aleksandra
Our adventure to the worlds largest day drink began with a late night bus ride from Florence to Munich. We arrived at our hostel at about 7 am on Friday morning and were ready to take on the schnitzle and pretzels. But first, we had to get some things in order.
When attending Oktoberfest it's customary to wear the traditional Bavarian costume. And honestly if you don't, you look pretty lame. I brought my mom's with me in order to save some money because I heard that they are really expensive. BUT. I ended up buying myself one as well because A. it was only 40 euros B. I can go to Oktoberfest again WITH my mother (that would be a good time) C. The dirndl I found was just too damn cute to not buy. There are several stores you can buy them in, all with very helpful, albeit intense, workers to help you find the perfecting dirndl to drink in. And for the guys: have your pick of lederhosen. There's nothing more attractive than a guy with a stein and some nice lederhosen.
Next, it was time for food. Something I realized while studying abroad is that while I avoid Starbucks in the States, it was really interesting to see how their menu changed in other countries. For example, in Munich I had a pretzel sand-which with chicken and I think cream cheese and chives. I wish I could remember better, but I do know that it tasted heavenly. German food in general is to die for. I think I say this about every country that I visit. Oops. Food is life.
For actual lunch we stopped at a restaurant for a proper beer and pommes (french fries)! I just love to say pommes. Pronounced like hummus but with a "P".
Later that night we explored the fairgrounds of Oktoberfest and after some diligent looking found some tables to drink at.
Saturday Morning
Saturday morning started sooo early. I got up around 5 a.m to start my hair and makeup, run down to the kitchen for a snack (even though they annoyingly didn't open till seven), and then run to the fair to wait for the gates to open. We waited outside in the cold for about an hour or so among a very packed crowd of other eager drinkers. Lots of attractive men in lederhosen to stare at to pass the time. Once the gates opened. Oi. A mad rush to the gates ensued. And I promised myself that I would not run to the tent that I wanted, but as usual I broke that promise, and I sprinted in my dress and all to secure a table. It's all part of the fun and memories. I'd for sure do it again. Maybe with a pretzle to snack on in line though. The rest of the day is slightly a blur (as it should be). But! I got my customary dirndle/stein photos, and that's really all you can ask for at Oktoberfest.
A very long nap ensued and then a delicious dinner of speatzle and schnitzle at an authentic German restaurant. Speatzle are little homemade german "noodles" made with eggs. A delicious German food, and something I make a point to have anytime I'm in Germany for more than a day!
Tschuss!
Aleksandra




Comments
Post a Comment